Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Altec Model 14's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member routzong's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2004
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Need info on my Altec Model 14's. Bought them late 70's. Have had them reconed 3 times. Once because of age, wore out. Two more time because I put a Carver amp behind them and toasted horns and shredded woofers. Retired Carver amp. Is it time to replace woofers, or reconed again, Leaning toward replacing them. Less down time. Are there any woofers available. Model? Part #?. Also need new speaker grills, recovered them once but frame is broke on one.
    Very much impressed with knowledge at this site and the number of peeps here, thought I was the only person left that had Altec's.
    What are they worth in today's market. Not that I would ever part with them. I paid $1000 for them at Circuit City 25 years ago.
    Thanks for the help.
    Harold

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't replace them - it would mess it up. The crossover was designed specifically with those components i nmind, so any other replacement wouldn't sound right.

    I'd have Bill at GPA rebuild the HF and LF speakers - I don't think it hurts ceramic speakers to be reconed a lot...

    As for grille frames, I have a cabinet man that built my enclosures when I was an Altec sound contractor. He has all of the plans, and could easily build you a set. Do you still have the mounting connectors?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member routzong's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2004
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Todd
    Emailed Bill today, gonna get the LF drivers reconed and new HF drivers for Mantaray horns. As far as grill's go, mounting hareware is glued in, don't think I can get them out without damaging them. Need contracts name so I can get a price on new grills.
    Thanks a lot
    Harold

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I think I can get them out - send me a personal message via this board with your e-mail, and I'll see what I can do to help you...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.